2019年4月30日 星期二

【第七屆】107學年度靜思語與我的生命故事徵文比賽_第二名_Institute of Medical Sciences_Hemalatha Mani


I am a girl born in a tradition and culture bounded family in India, who grew up hearing lots of stories, morals, humane way of living and showing a humble attitude towards life from my grandparents. I have heard, read, came across and discussed many of Master Chen Yen’s sayings, but this particular saying sunk deep into my mind. The reason I relate to it strongly is because of the people I came across in my life.

Bodhisattvas are not the wooden or clay statues in temples that we worship, but people who reach out to others in their time of need.
-Dharma Master Cheng Yen

Being born and raised in a religious community I have seen love and faith in God’s and holy temples rather towards neighbor human beings and living things. After reading this quote there was a pinch of guilty in my conscious. This put me in my place and made me wonder how far I was immersed in doing deeds out of fear towards angering Gods rather than reaching out to help fellow human with compassion. I was so full of believing in karma for all the good deeds that I did, rather than handing out help without expecting anything in return.
Being brought up in the generation of science and advanced technologies it always feels like we are in a race, running to gain one after another trophy. Even though it gives a sense of achievement, nothing was good enough for us to stop and realize how precious this life is! Until we feel the actual pleasure of giving something back rather being on the selfish receiving side for once. It is a surprisingly wondrous feeling to help others even when you don’t have any. All that we need is a simple act of kindness.
I was fortunate enough to experience Buddhism and its life cleansing Dharma’s back in my country, but I felt it is in Tzu Chi I came to know the true meaning of it. Rather than praying, articulating ancient rituals it feels much lighter in the heart to help a random stranger in a day. A random and genuine act of kindness to put a smile on someone’s face gave me strength and confidence. I always get brighten up driftlessly even when feeling low by a “Ni Hao” from the campus volunteers who are always cheered up, their sunny smile, showing restless energy and unconditional love towards others. This is when I realized you don’t need millions and billions of money to help someone all it takes is a warm smile, a hug, a true heart, and patience to listen in the time of need.

沒有留言:

張貼留言