2019年4月30日 星期二

【第七屆】107學年度靜思語與我的生命故事徵文比賽_佳作_Institute of Medical Sciences_JP Mandal_Affliction can be meaningful when we can grow wise from it.


Life is a mix of bliss and torment. We cannot distance ourselves from the distresses as it demonstrates lovely first light of joy afterwards. Satisfaction and torment are the opposite sides of a coin. If I’m asked I would say - it’s being wise from afflictions. 

My parents got married in their early teenage of 10-12 years old in 1960s. Four sisters, a brother all elders to me constituted my family. Desire for son resulted in large family but with less opportunity to school and nutritious food whereas more of experience to hardships.

We grew vegetables and my father used to sell them to distant markets to make a little more income. My father’s loud voice used to be our morning alarm at 3am and we hit towards market. I could still reminisce how hard it was to push the vegetable-loaded bicycle in uphill and graveled road in the dark. Sometimes my toes used to bleed, toes’ nail used to come off when I hit thorny stones on the road. I used to overcome the pain just for the reward i.e. hot noodles, my father used to lure me with it to help him push his bicycle. We reach the market at just sunrise copiously fatigued. My mom and I shared a beautiful bonding. The enlarging cracks on her feet were proofs of her hard work and dedication for us. I accompanied her to collect firewood and fodder for our cows from forest. After all hardships, we had to eat dinner on banana leaf as we could not afford enough plates. My parents hid everything with their smiling face and my clay-like brain could not realize it then.

Not only our bellies were half-filled but also our barren brains. Patriarchy prevailed in our family and was against higher education. My siblings gave up on their dreams after secondary level education and got married. Amid rainy days, I used to remove my uniform, wrap my books with it, affix on my head and used to cross the flooded way completely stripped to reach school while sometimes on banana boat. My whole schooling period was not easygoing for me as only mother was cheering for my education. I was in grade eight when she passed away, I was forsaken.

Now, I had to cook, complete all morning chores and go to school. Tears rolled down my cheeks often remembering all beautiful memories I had shared with my mother. After two years, I graduated from high school being the highest scorer of all times. The fame and respect my father received from teachers, neighbors changed his perception towards education completely.

Meanwhile my brother was working as a laborer in another city. My high school supported me for my senior high school economically. My father started seeing a future doctor in me. Despite of his old age, he resumed working hard again to earn some money for my higher studies. "My profit probably won't help you much however it can surely act as a brick in a foundation” he used to state. My throat was deterred and just tears pursued my cheeks towards ground.

Today I’m an aspiring cancer research scientist because of my mother, father and brother. I miss him so much. I always took the sacrifices, sufferings and pain of my siblings and parents as source of my inspiration. When I came to Tzu chi university I felt like home seeing and being motivated by Jing Si aphorisms on walls in photos. “Affliction can be meaningful when we can grow wise from it” personally touched me and forced me to recollect my past and motivate others.

沒有留言:

張貼留言