2023年6月1日 星期四

【第十一屆】111學年度靜思語與我的生命故事徵文比賽_佳作_公衛碩二_Avwerosuoghene Onobrakpeya

 By Avwerosuoghene Onobrakpeya

‘Nurture the habit of giving and our world will become vast’ – Master Cheng Yen

Every day, as I turn the corner to take the stairs to my room on the second floor of the women's dorm, I see these words, in a framed picture, hung on the wall. These words catapult me home, and they are a reminder of all I learned and watched as I grew up.

‘Kindness’, ‘giving unselfishly’, these words and actions are not foreign to me as I was brought up by kind people with large hearts. My parents did not need to tell me to be kind, I saw it in every action of theirs, in the way they treated those around them. I saw how they gave unselfishly. Even when we had little, it was never too little to share. A giving heart, a caring heart, this is what I have known.

And now every day, as I see these words in my dorm, I am always reminded of those who are important to me, I am reminded of my father who housed so many people even when our house was small. I am reminded of my mother who shares to all around her, who is a mother to even those not related to her by blood.

I have come to learn that giving goes beyond money or things of monetary value. Giving also encompasses giving your time, your attention, your support, a listening ear, a shoulder to lean on, flashing smile, a compliment, a ‘it is going to be okay’, a ‘加油’, being a friend, a confidante. I try to always do all these, to give and be present.

When I joined the ‘國際難民學生英語交換學伴服務學習 Service Learning: Language Exchange Partners for Refugee Students in Turkey’ course last year, I had lots of hopes, One of them was to become a big sister to the students I would get to work with and become someone they know they can always rely on even though we are miles apart. I am so glad I have been able to do that.

This Jing Si Aphorism is a daily reminder to me and as I walk past it every time, I smile because I know very well how important it is for us to have giving hearts, to share and to show love. I have met so many people with large hearts in Taiwan and I have been touched by their beautiful, giving spirits.

I know that without a doubt, our world opens up when we choose to share selflessly.

Every day, I am inspired to become a better version of myself, to become a better me than the day before, to give more, to those around me, and to those far from me! This Aphorism inspires me, the people in my life inspire me.

沒有留言:

張貼留言