2023年6月1日 星期四

【第十一屆】111學年度靜思語與我的生命故事徵文比賽_佳作_醫技二_李志輝

 7.8 Billion Beacons of Hope

   As a kid, I loved watching SpongeBob. One episode that I found entertaining was when SpongeBob accidentally boarded the wrong bus and found himself stuck in a deep-sea zone called the Rock Bottom. The deep sea, as we know, is a very dark and frightening place to be in. The story continues as SpongeBob struggles to make his way back to the surface.

           Going to university in Taiwan and studying in medical college was probably my biggest gamble. As I got into a new environment, far from the comforts of home, I must force myself to adjust. Reciting and translating what my teacher said in Chinese during the class took up hours and days of my time. It eventually became my routine to catch up with everyone. This responsibility slowly traps me and forces itself to become my utmost priority. Consequently, I missed out on many social events, sacrificed fun time out with my friends, and even led the loss of some friendships. I also lost sleep hours, which might also pose risk to my health. It eventually got me to a moment where I begin to ask myself: “Am I really happy this way? Is it even worth the sacrifice? What am I seeking? Or should I just give up and find an easier route to take?” Without me knowing, I also boarded the wrong bus just like SpongeBob, and soon enough, I’m also stuck at Rock Bottom!

           However, the funny thing is, just like SpongeBob, although I’m stranded down there, I also keep on trying to get back up. Despite not knowing the answers to all of my doubts, I somehow still keep on going up until this day…. But why?

“Life is filled with pain and sufferings but also with hope and love.”

           If we look closer, this Jing Si aphorism is trying to convey a powerful message that hope is not scattered around life. But instead, by using the word “filled,” the aphorism is trying to tell us that hope is enclosed within each life itself! This means, every life, like yours and mine, are thoughtful hopes and prayers, echoed by the past and present for the future of humankind. These are the hope that someone… someday… will find the cure for cancer, start a world-changing charity work, end world hunger, stop further wars, advocate peace and equality, or create a greener world and bring about better days. Every hope is carried by us! 

           There are 7.8 billion beacons of hope including you and me who convince humanity, that despite mishaps and hindrances, regardless of difficulty and setback, or the unknown part of our journey that is yet to be written, the future is a railroad with a destination. Hence, every life serves a purpose! 

           As I am writing this essay, I also reflect on my life. The aphorism reminded me that my life too, is a hope and that’s why I shouldn’t give up. It is the hope I can be a compassionate medical worker and help others that become the reason to my perseverance. Thus, when we are going through challenges and giving up seems like an option to take, may we always be reminded that we are carrying a ray of hope in our lives! May the honor of being a hope carrier strengthen us always! And who knows? Maybe SpongeBob's desire, and his hope to continue entertaining us is what gave him the strength to get back up to Bikini Bottom! 

The aphorism also correlates with what Stephen Hawking once said: 

That “when there is life, there is hope!”

沒有留言:

張貼留言