2021年4月26日 星期一

【第九屆】109學年度靜思語與我的生命故事徵文比賽_佳作_人發心系一年級_Sabrina_Having possessions has its worries, having nothing has its.

 

The aphorism, “Having possessions has its worries, having nothing has its freedom” is

my favourite of all the other aphorisms. This is because it gives an in-depth perspective of what liberation means in life. For the longest time, I have struggled with feeling free. Since I was young, I felt like the world was a cage I willingly put myself in, yet I was unable to escape. With the help of my favourite aphorism, it helped me identify one of my life bittersweet frustration, which is owning a pet.

 

I begin with my chapter: Owning a pet. At the ripe age of 8 years old, I had a golden retriever named Buddy. For what seemed to be a long time, I have always wanted a pet dog. Hence my parents decided to adopt Buddy. I loved him so much but my parents made Buddy my responsibility because I wanted him. I had to bathe him, feed Buddy, take Buddy on walks and accompany Buddy as he was once an abandoned puppy with anxiety issues before I had him. Even for food, I had to budget my allowance given by my parents, save enough money to afford Buddy’s food and favourite treats. Looking back, my parents were not neglectful, they wanted me to understand the consequence of wanting. This resulted in me rejecting birthday parties

invited by my friends and involvement with school activity because Buddy would become neurotic when I am away from him. Although I loved him with my heart, I was evidently held back to join the society. My reflection on this situation when I stumbled this aphorism is that having ownership over the dog is unfair to Buddy himself since he is dependent on me to live. Moreover, having Buddy loaded me with distress as I had to learn to be frugal and ensure Buddy feels safe at all times.

 

However, as Buddy aged, he died from cancer and it tore me apart. The years of being together and the sudden separation agonized my days. The only thing that aid in coping was when I associated the aphorism with my own life scenario. Why this aphorism meant so much for me is because it acts as a memoir of my lovely dog due to the fact I have created deep connections with his death with the aphorism to cope. I acknowledged that I voluntarily accepted the consequences of possession, which is an attachment with Buddy; and the loss of a being I love is part of the path to freedom. Years later after Buddy’s passing, I feel unrestrained when I leave home to socialize with friends. Even though I am freer, I am blessed to have this experience and to come across the aphorism to alleviate the tragedy. What I learn from the experience and the aphorism is that possessions are ephemeral and therefore obtaining nothing

avoids suffering as a whole.

沒有留言:

張貼留言